Monday, October 31, 2011

Slates arrival

On Oct. 19th I woke up to the feeling of my son about to crawl out of my belly. I instantly knew something was wrong and at 2 am I started packing my bags for the hospital. We called Tadvick at 9 and his nurse told us to go to labor & delivery. We hung out and got the fluids checked then they sent us to ultrasound and we got to see Slate he was doing great. Tadvick didn't want to send us home but didn't want to start a c-section too early so he sent us to Mayberry for another sonogram. Because of in-vitro I have seen Mayberry every 2 weeks just to check on Slate. When I weighed in I said my normal I hate to be weighed and the nurse laughed. To my surprise I had lost two pounds I was not as unhappy at that point. So Dr. Mayberry comes in does the sonogram everything looked great so I am prepping myself to go home when he measures Slate. He says 5 lbs 12 oz. I said wait a minute that is what we were last time. He looks at the chart and to his surprise it was the same. Stone was the same way when I was pregnant with him that is why we delivered him early. Dr. Mayberry calls Dr. Tadvick and then I get the call go home get your stuff and come back we deliver in the morning. I was scared and excited but at the same time a little sad. Greg and I and Stone were all born on the 19th and tomorrow is the 20th. I was not going to say a word I said ok and was going to get something to eat and I got the call. The OR was booked in the morning I had 45 min. to get my stuff and come back we were delivering at 4. Wow what a rush so we run home and grab some stuff and back to the hospital within 20 min. I was in the OR and within 10 min. Slate was born. Wow what a rush they take him and clean him up I go to the recovery room and I sit and I wait and 2.5 hours later I tell the nurse I am about to walk out of here to go see my son and why is he not ready. The hold up was Slate he was breathing so fast and he couldn't stop so they had him hooked up to 3 monitors and I really didn't know what to think at that point I couldn't hold him and he was in a warmer box. Because he was born at 36 weeks and 6 days he was a little too small his heart was working way too hard and they were trying too get him to eat and he didn't want to so they put in an IV to feed him. For the next 3 days I went to the NICU and held him for one hour at a time and then they would kick me out I could come in every three hours. It was a long three days. Then we went to the other room where he was taken out of the warmer to see if he could hold his temperature but still hooked up to the monitors his heart beat was progressively slowing down so that was a good start. Over the next five days I would go and feed him every three hours and then they would kick me out. I went home on Sunday night so I would go back and forth to Hendricks from the office. I might as well do some work if I can't hold my son. I did not know that holding a baby made them burn calories so we are still trying not to handle him all the time until we see La Masters on Friday. After 5 more days we finally got to bring him home he had to pass the car seat test I didn't know about this either one hour in a car seat if they are born before 37 weeks. He passed and we got to go home finally. Big brother is back to his normal self and we are adjusting to life with the 4 of us. Our trial is friday Slate has to have gained weight by friday so we have been trying very hard to get him to eat 2 oz every 3 hours we have not accomplished this yet but it is getting better.

No comments: